Thursday 27 February 2014

Retrospective

Ugh. A hefty cold strikes me down, and there's no chance I'm stepping out the door today.  Notably, it's 2 months since I started my little adventure, and pleasingly for a coder, it's 128 (2^7) days until race day.  Time for a retrospective.

What went well:

  • Running - given that it's nearly 5 years since I last properly ran, I'm pleased to have gotten back into it so quickly, and be improving consistently.  Sometimes I even enjoy it.  Changing my stride to a mid-foot strike also seems to have helped me avoid the dreaded knee problems.
  • Losing weight - maybe not as quickly as I might have expected, but I'm fairly close to a stone lighter than when I started.  Can't be bad. I've found healthy foods that I enjoy (getting slightly tired of salmon now though), and done well at avoiding office cakes.
  • You - yes yes, it's a bit mushy, but my cockles have been well and truly warmed by the kind comments on just about everything - my ever decreasing waistline, blog posts, run and ride times. Some of you have patiently listened as I bore you with details of my latest swim or my running stride. Some of you have offered help and advice. In particular, my wife has been terribly patient. Thanks.


What didn't go well:

  • Swimming - still no quicker.  I don't hate swimming per se, I just don't know how to improve. I'm now invoking my kids' swimming teacher to give me some coaching. But, good news! My new jammers arrived yesterday, which promise to take seconds off my lap time and make me look like a hunk.
  • Training plan -  I don't really have a training plan, other than "train 5 days a week and try and go a bit further or faster than last time". I fear that sooner or later I will just plateau unless I add some structure.
  • Time - finding time to exercise 5 days a week isn't quite as easy as it seems. I dare say sometimes I've abandoned other priorities in favour of getting out for a run or a ride.  On the plus side, I'm starting to fit running and riding into the working day a bit more. The slight upturn in the weather helps.

What have I learnt?
  • Targets are good
  • Spit in the googles is still the best anti-fog treatment
  • I quite like (some) yoghurts
Here's to the next 128 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment