Sunday 26 January 2014

Is Art A Crime?

"Is Art A Crime?" begs the question on the wall at the other end of the cemetery.  Judging by the decidedly provincial quality of the other scrawls, Art at least has a case for libel.  Further down the wall, neat 8-inch high letters shout "PAINT THE TOWN OR WHATEVER COLOUP".  That the artist could not bring himself to finish the R is surely a sign of the mental exhaustion he must have been burdened with at authoring such a weighty, if somewhat nonsensical statement. Either that or he gave up in sheer desperation when he realised he'd missed a word.

I finish the week with a run, as the sun makes an appearance for the first time today.  Trying to increase the distance, I push myself up to 2.2 miles.  Generally I'm fine with it, but towards the end my knees start drafting a cease-and-desist letter.  I have a horrible feeling this is going to be a regular theme in my training, and it's going to take a certain amount of care to not be injured by the time the event comes around.

The largely unremarkable training week in review:

Monday - 750m swim.  This time, I track my time on the clock. 25 minutes - slower than I thought.  Whatever I do, I just cannot seem to make myself go faster, over any distance.  I may need to seek professional help on this one.

Wednesday - On Tuesday I find myself struck with massive lethargy, and choose to work from home on Wednesday.  By the late afternoon however, I've found some energy and force myself out the door for a cycle ride.  I cover 9.2 miles around the flooded Avon Causeway, at an average speed of 16.6mph.   Were it not for the last mile through heavy traffic, it would almost certainly have been 17mph, which is heartening.  My aim for the cycle on the day will be 40 minutes, which would be an average 18mph, so I'm hopefully not too far off being able to achieve that.

Thursday - another swim, and something of a write-off.  I can barely do 100m at a time, and the busy, narrow lanes don't help.

Friday - a lunchtime run in the drizzle, 2.1 miles at 9:19/mi.

What is remarkable is that I'm doing this stuff without even really thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment