Wednesday 22 July 2015

We need to talk

We need to talk.

It's not you, it's me.  Over time, well, things have moved on, things have changed. This isn't just a phase, this is me, it's who I am.  And I know it's hard to face the truth, hard to accept the obvious, but we have to face it now before it hurts us more.

I am a MAMIL.

This is confirmed by my purchasing of a tri-suit.  For the uninitiated, a tri-suit is a one-piece lycra affair, combining cycle shorts with vest, in a quick-drying material.  On the bum, just enough padding to be comfortable on the bike, without being like a wet nappy after the swim.  On the vest, cut-away arms to show off the guns.

I've resisted the tri-suit until now, but they're just so darn practical.  No need to flap around in transition with drying off and putting a top on, just whip off the wetsuit, shoes on, and away you go.  They also have seams in the right places. Until you've done a tri in shorts with a seam up the middle, you may not appreciate what a difference this makes (also in the package from Wiggle: Bodyglide).

Having lost a few more pounds, it's now just possible that I could wear such a thing in public without getting arrested.  That said, it's tight.  No-one will be under any illusions about where I pack my spare pounds (no, it's not there).  Nor do I have the muscles to carry off the sleeveless look - it's mostly sidemoob and hair in unwanted places.

I feel very self-conscious wearing it around the house, let alone running around the streets.  Emma reminds me that I'm always telling her, in her own moments of sports clothing dilemma, that no-one at these events either notices or cares, and mostly just appreciate the fact that you got off your bum and achieved something. Which is entirely true, but still, one can't help feeling a little uncomfortable.

But I have worked hard to claim my place in the pantheon of sporting greats, and surely those washboard abs and bulging biceps can only be weeks away.  On Monday I run 7k at my fast 5k pace, around 7:45/mi, and on Tuesday take a 20 mile route home from work on the bike, hitting an average of 18.4mph, which is great considering that there's a few small but signficant hills in there.

Looking forward to seeing what I can do with the next installment of the Salty Sea Dog on Saturday.  Total 1:41 last time out, hoping to take four or five minutes out of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment