Monday 7 July 2014

187 Days Later

One hundred and eighty seven days after Day 0.  I've gone from 15st 5lb to 14st, and from a 38 to 36 inch waist. I've gone from averaging around 15mph for bike rides to averaging 18-19mph.  I've gone from running 10 minute miles to running 8 minute miles.  I've gone from being a bad swimmer in the pool to being a bad swimmer in a wetsuit.  I've written 42 blog posts, some 25,000 words, with 3000 views.  I've raised £375 for Cancer Research (hmm, more on that later...).  I've made a few friends, and lost precisely one :(

To all those that cheerfully put up with me banging on about the triathlon - thank you.  To all those that read this blog, and offered encouragement and praise - thank you. To all those who liked, shared and commented on Facebook - thank you.  To all those that offered their time and advice to help me - thank you. To everyone that donated money to Cancer Research - thank you. It has been a pursuit of a trivial goal, hardly the peak of human endeavour, but everyone has been fantastically gracious and patient, much like you would treat a child when they announce that they can do five - FIVE! - bounces on the trampoline.

Most of all, Emma has been enormously tolerant of the time spent either training or blogging. Always ready to offer advice, or be an understanding listener on the bad days, she has always been nothing less than wholly supportive of my little hobby.  Meanwhile, Ella and Alex have been unending sources of comedy and disbelief that their Dad should be larking about in lycra.

So, what now?  Is this the end of my triathlon career?  The end of the blog??

You should be so lucky.  Next up: the Portsmouth RNLI Adventure Race!  Good news though readers: no swim!  It's replaced by a two-man kayak, in which I shall be ably chauffeured by Rik. After that, in October there's the Mass Attack Duathlon at Thruxton - hopefully not cancelled this time. And you can be sure that I'll still be here blathering on about it.  Bestselling books don't write themselves y'know.

About that £375.  I made a promise, that if I hit £300 I would swim Pier to Pier.  Of course, you wonderful, yet silly, silly people made that happen.  Oh joy.  Alas, some unfortunate scheduling means that I'll not be able to do the actual Pier to Pier, but I will be organising a little private event at some point in the near future. Perhaps some of you fancy joining me?  I am really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment